Learn about asylum

You have the right to apply for asylum if you are in fear of persecution on the grounds of your sexual orientation, your gender identity or your gender expression, among other things.

Persecution may come from the authorities or other groups or persons in your home country. In Sweden, you can apply for asylum at the Migration Agency or at the national border. Your case will then be assessed individually.

As an asylum seeker, you have a responsibility to show your need for protection and how the situation in your home country affects you. The Migration Agency will ask questions about your identity and you have to explain why you are applying for asylum and what has happened to you. If it is difficult for you to talk about it, you can ask for a break, but at the same time it is important that you tell the Migration Agency about your situation. It is important that you talk about your situation as an LGBTQ person in your country as soon as possible, and how it is connected to the treatment you have suffered from or risk suffering from if you go back. The Migration Agency have a duty of confidentiality, this means that they must not tell anyone else who you are or the reason for your asylum application.

If you think you have been treated badly by a Migration Agency employee, you can contact the Applicants’ ombudsman, Marina Bengtsson.

To support you in the asylum process, you may be given a public counsel who is a lawyer from the Migration Agency. If you want a different, specific lawyer, you must tell the Migration Agency about this at an early stage. Not all lawyers have LGBTQ competence, this could damage your asylum investigation. Contact us if you want advice about lawyers with LGBTQ competence.

You can tell us if you want to have a case officer, interpreter or public counsel of a certain gender if it makes you feel safe.


Sources: www.migrationsverket.se, www.rfsl.se